2/05/2007

Makeover!

I've decided to purchase a new banner for my etsy shop! I bought it from a very talented grapic artist who sells her art and services through there. Pop on over and check out my new banner, and if you like it then you have to check out her store. It's http://paperbirdie.etsy.com. She's very nice and knew what I wanted right away. I've also decided to buy a cupcake graphic on its own so I can use it for some cards I'm making to sell hairpins, barettes, and buttons in my shop. In other words, I've got a lot of new things to list very soon. And just for fun, I made the cute little flower on the fly with some leftover yarn that was too small for anything else.

So here's my pattern, original and fairly simple:
Remenent of worsted-weight handspun style yarn
Siza US I9 crochet hook
Thread
Button
Felt that matches button
Metal barette or pinback

1. Begin with an adjustable ring. Crochet 10 single crochet (sc) into the ring, tighten, and join with a slip stitch (slst). (10 sc)
2. Work 2 sc in each sc around, join with a slst. (20 sc)
3. Now for the petals: *chain (ch) 1, skip one sc and crochet 5 double crochet (dc) into next sc. Ch 1, skip 1, and slst into the next sc*. Repeat from * around. (Should end up with 5 petals.)
4. Cut free and weave ends to the back of the flower's center, but leave them dangling.
5. Again, form an adjustable loop and crochet 5 sc into the ring. (5 sc)
6. Work 2 sc in each sc around. (10 sc)
7. Do the same thing as in step 3, but you should only end up with 3 petals.
8. Repeat step 4, then thread the smaller flower's dangling yarn through the center of the large one and tie the ends together. This will help them to stay in place while you sew on the button and give the finished flower extra strength.
9. Stitch a button in the center of the flower, a circle of felt on the back, and add a pinback or barette. Done!

If you have found this or any of my other free patterns useful and would like to help me keep creating them I accept PayPal donations!

7 comments:

  1. I really love your flower pattern. I did it up really quickly out of doily yarn and i am going to use it as an accent for my scrapbook pages. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks! I'm so glad you like it, I'd love to see a picture of how yours came out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:08 PM

    I love this flower! The cool thing is that I would be considered a major crochet beginner and I could read this pattern without a problem. I love the adj. ring, brilliant! I put this flower on a hat and it is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you used my pattern, it makes me so happy when people like my little projects! Congrats on starting to crochet, it sure is addictive isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wondering...is it okay to make these little flowers and put them on hair barrettes or something and then sell them at a local craft fair or something. I know that it is your pattern, and I am trying to figure out how all this copyright stuff works with homemade crafts. Thanks!

    Just a stay-at-home mom looking to make a little extra income.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course you can use my pattern! It would make me very happy in fact.
    Usually, unless people specifically state in their copyright agreement that they don't want the pattern item made for resale then it's probably okay. The only thing I have a problem with is if someone were to sell the pattern itself. But that hardly ever happens.
    So feel free to make any of my free patterns and use the items for whatever you like. Send me some pictures if you can, I love to see how people are using the patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chase!

    I love your Etsy site and all your crafts!! I just found your blog and have bookmarked it!! You are a great inspreation to me!!! I'll see you on Face Book! (Janet H)

    ReplyDelete