2/12/2012

Coupley Crafty Time!

One of the things I truly love about Dennis is his willingness to share in my hobbies. We used to craft together a lot more before he got so into Magic the Gathering, which I personally think is an awesome hobby and I'm glad he's doing so well at it. I've chronicled some of our crafty exploits here, here, here, here, and here. Yup, that's a lot of cutesy-pootsy crafting together. But all those posts are a little old, and when I mentioned to him how much I missed doing art with him he told me I should bust out the Hama Beads (also known as Perler Beads and fuse beads), so we could work on something together. Oh Dennis, you are awesome!


For those of you who didn't have the pleasure of playing with these beautiful little choking hazards as children, they're basically little plastic beads that you arrange on a pegboard and then melt them together with an iron. My generation seems to have a penchant for taking these nostalgic goodies and crafting great pixel art pieces straight out of our favorite old-school video games. And we were following suit...



And yes, we were watching episode after episode of Star Trek while making video-game art with a child's toy. Coolest couple ever? Probably.





Dennis made a character from Chrono Trigger, more specifically the guy who gets turned into a toad. You may have to stand back from your monitor to get a clearer view. It's like pointillism in that way.


And mine is going to be pretty big so this is just one side. It's going to be a coin bank that looks like one of the question mark boxes from Mario Brothers. I've got two sides done so far.

Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:11 AM

    I used to love playing with those beads when I was a kid. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete