7/12/2009

My Favorite Summer Salad

About this time every year I go nuts making tons of salads and such from the absolutely amazing produce I get at the farmer`s market by the lake. Yesterday I went over early and had Thai food for lunch after shopping, and I sat in the shade by the petting zoo and watched the bunnies and chickens while I worked on my latest knitting project, inspired by Jill`s knit necklaces. The cowls she makes are so lovely, and I have been wanting my own chunky cowl for a long time, so I am just free-handing one. Anywho, yesterday I came home and made a salad of roasted white corn, red onion, jalapeno, cucumber, avocado, yellow tomato, and bell peppers from the garden (yay!) on a bed of baby greens. With watermelon for dessert I think I got every flavor of summer in there except for strawberries, but I had strawberry shortcake for breakfast so it`s okay lol. But the recipe I really wanted to share is for a Caprese salad I make all the time. Most people just do tomatoes, cheese, and basil but I gussie mine up a bit and it is a great salad to bring to a barbeque.


Chase`s Caprese Salad

Ingredients:
2-3 Large heirloom tomatoes
1 American cucumber (soft-skinned)
1 Avocado
1 Big bunch of basil
1 large container of buffalo mozzarella (extra soft, mild mozzarella)
2-3 Tbsp capers, finely chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste (I suggest at least a 1/4 tsp of each)

1. In a large salad bowl combine the oil, vinegar, capers, rosemary, and thyme and whisk until blended.
2. Cut the veggies and cheese into about 1/2 inch cubes and add to the bowl with the vinaigrette.
3. Chiffonade the basil (stack the leaves together, roll them up like a cigar and slice width wise) into 1/2 inch strips and add to the salad.
4. Toss the salad and season well with salt and pepper to your taste. Serve with crusty bread!

*Be sure to leave a comment anywhere on my blog this month to be entered in my 4th blogiversary prize drawing!

5 comments:

  1. oh my goodness that sounds delectable/delightful/delicious!
    thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a summer salad aficionado- Nothing hits the spot better than cool, crisp veg on a hot day! This recipe is such a wonderful classic... Only I use tofu feta instead of mozz. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jill!

    Hannah - Oh yes I know all about your wonderful summer salads. In fact, right after you reviewed that amazing veggie cheese by making a Caprese salad out of it I went out and did the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valence Balance11:01 PM

    Glad I saw your recipe before I went out yesterday. If only I had some heirloom tomatoes, but I'll make due with what I have. That dressing recipe is really close to my favorite one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:53 AM

    sounds yummy!...

    ReplyDelete