3 1/3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 1/2 sticks room temperature unsalted butter
1 2/3 plus 2 tbsp sugar
2 large eggs
12 oz. package slivered almonds
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 scant cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy, add the eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth.
3. Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, cream of tartar, and cinnamon.
4. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating it with adding the milk.
5. Fold in the package of slivered almonds and chill the dough for 30 minutes.
6. Scoop generous spoonfulls of cookie dough onto the parchment lined sheets, mine were about 1-2 tbsp. Give cookies at least 3 inches of space from one another on the cookie sheet, they will spread out!
7. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden around the edges only. If you like you can sprinkle them with a pinch of sanding sugar when they first come out of the oven, it gives them a nice crunch to contrast with the cakey texture. Hope you like them!