10/28/2008

Kitty Stuff!

My new job is at a lovely little toy store in the north bay called A Child's Delight. It's a lot of fun and it has helped furnish my budding Re-ment collection (maybe you'll get some pictures soon?), and I really enjoy working with the public. This past sunday the mall that one of the stores is located in was having a trick-or-treat for the kids, with every store handing out candy. We were encouraged to come in costume so I busted out ye olde fox tail and cosplay ears, plus a set of really realistic fangs and I went to work. Only one other person dressed up, and she was only there for 3 hours! It was fun being the odball in costume; the kids and parents alike loved it, and it was extra funny because the fangs give me a lisp when I wear them. Though the tail is by far the best part of the costume. People see me coming and they smile at the ears, then when I say hello they say "Oh my," when they see my fangs, but the best part is after I passed them by I hear them exclaim behind me "Oh my God look at her tail!" Lol! It's a real fox tail I picked up at a ren faire some years ago and it swishes when I walk, almost like it was meant to be there. I swear I must have been a cat in a past life, lol. Anywho, feeling very catty I came home and crocheted a basket for Kyoto's toys to live in. They're always getting everywhere and were in desperate need of a home, and he likes digging around in them. It's made from scraps that ammounted to less than 2 balls of Sugar'n Cream cotton yarn in natural, though if you wanted to make one I bet one of the new large size balls they're selling would be the perfect ammount. I did a few rows in the middle from some leftover hemp, the same stuff I used in my first zakka bag. It's fairly large and I used an H hook so it's a tight weave so it'll be durable. Here's the pattern if you'd like to make one for your goodies that need a home.
Round 1: Start with an adjustable loop and crochet 6 single crochet (sc) into the loop and join with a slip stitch. (6sc)
Round 2: 2 sc in every sc. (12 sc)
Round 3: *1 sc in first sc, 2sc in next* Repeat from * around. Do not join any other rounds. (18 sc)
Round 4: *1 sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next* Repeat from * around. (24 sc)
Round 5: *1 sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next* Repeat from * around. (30 sc)
Round 6: *1 sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next* Repeat from * around. (36 sc)
Round 7: *1 sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next* Repeat from * around. (42 sc)
Round 8: *1 sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next* Repeat from * around. (48 sc)
Round 9: *1 sc in next 7 sc, 2 sc in next* Repeat from * around. (54 sc)
Round 10: *1 sc in next 8 sc, 2 sc in next* Repeat from * around. (60 sc)
Round 11: *1 sc in next 9 sc, 2 sc in next* Repeat from * around. (66 sc)
Round 12: *1 sc in next 10 sc, 2 sc in next* Repeat from * around. (72 sc)
Round 13: *1 sc in next 11 sc, 2 sc in next* Repeat from * around. (78 sc)
Round 14: *1 sc in next 12 sc, 2 sc in next* Repeat from * around. (84 sc)
Round 15: *1 sc in next 13 sc, 2 sc in next* Repeat from * around. (90 sc)
Round 16: *1 sc in next 14 sc, 2 sc in next* Repeat from * around. (96 sc)
Round 17: *1 sc in next 15 sc, 2 sc in next* Repeat from * around. (102 sc)
Round 18: *1 sc in next 16 sc, 2 sc in next* Repeat from * around. (108 sc)
Round 19: *1 sc in next 17 sc, 2 sc in next* Repeat from * around. (114 sc)
Round 20: *1 sc in next 18 sc, 2 sc in next* Repeat from * around. (120 sc)
Rounds 21-25: 1 sc in each sc around. (120 sc) Switch to hemp yarn at end of round 25.
Rounds 26-28: With hemp, 1 sc in each sc around. (120 sc) Switch back to cotton yarn at end of round 28.
(At this point if you're tired of crocheting you can do 3 to 5 more rows of cotton and bind off, but I did more mostly to use up yarn and because I wanted a rolled rim for the basket, inspired by this one from Little Miss Meshell, who is no longer blogging unfortunately.)
Rounds 29-41: sc in each sc around and bind off. (120 sc)
Roll the hem over and enjoy your basket!
Meow! =^. .^=


If you have found this or any of my other free patterns useful and would like to help me keep creating them I accept PayPal donations!

31 comments:

  1. It is a bit sad, but at least I chose not to buy a red fox's tail. Those are no longer being sold luckily, but they were when I bought my tail. Those ones come from Europe and America and their population is being threatened due to overhunting. Don't buy them!
    If you want a tail, you should buy the black fox tails like mine which come from Austrailia. They are a non-native species that is extremely overpopulated and is killing off native wildlife and threatening the ecosystem. At least their deaths won't go to waste, their bodies are recycled for many purposes.
    Thanks for bringing up the issue, it's good to be an informed consumer and I'm glad you mentioned it! Remember, don't buy the red tails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beg to disagree that red foxes are in decline here in the UK, on the contrary they are now so over populated even walking through the streets of London at night you see them going through the bins on a daily basis.
    I even had a friendly fox and her cubs on my allotment for a while, (who I wrote about on my blog) and I live in the heart of London!
    I'm not going to go in to 'the' debate though, as I really am sitting on the fence on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear that the population is doing well again! Prorbably the hunting bans helped, which is why they don't sell those tails anymore. I got mine back in the ninties so they've had some time I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:49 AM

    I know I'm rather late in responding (you're posting was from Oct.), but for crying out loud.......it was a costume! And I thought it was very cute! True, we shouldn't hunt animals to extinction or just for their fur. However, as you stated, it was a while ago. You answered both 'whines' with tact and aplomb, and I applaud you. I thought this was supposed to be about the pattern for the basket!! Which, by the way, is adorable, also. I love it! And plan to make one very soon, as soon as the Christmas Holiday is past. Thanks for a wonderful pattern.
    Hugs and Flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:51 AM

    My goodness, did you think you'd cause such a stir with that fox tail? I very much admire how you responded. Very graceful. Hard to believe you're such a "savage".
    I, too, had one of those tails. It was around 35 years ago, when I was a teenager. It hung proudly from my suede purse with long fringes. Very hip! Those were different days....whether right or wrong.
    I'm a BIG cat lover, too. My husband says in his next life he wants to come back as one of MY cats. But kitties aren't what brought me to your blog (or fox tails), although I will snoop around a little if you don't mind. I came for the crocheted basket. LOVE it! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Anonymous. The fox tail is 100% disgusting. I found this blog as the cat toy basket is today's FPOTD at The Daily Crocheter. When providing the link to the pattern on my group in the future, it would be nice if the fox tail picture and all reference to it were removed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are so lucky to live in parts of the world that allow free speech! Thank you Chase for the basket. May I commend you on your environtmentally friendly tail, which didn't cause any pollution in its making. As a meat eater and wearer of leather goods, I applaud you, your tail AND your grace under fire. Wishing a peaceful end of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came to your site because of the daily crocheter and the Kitty stuff basket. In regards to your Halloween costume, I remember many years ago the Davy Crocket Hats. You made a wise decision when you made your purchase back in the 90's. It is interesting how fashions and ways of doing things change over the years. Glad to heaar that your costume was enjoyed by most all and sundry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad everyone likes the basket! I'm honored to be the pattern of the day at the daily crocheter, thanks so much!
    *No comment on the tail, I'm over it.* :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:37 AM

    Well isn't CraftyMatthew an arrogant fellow? Never heard of freedom of speach, I guess. Good thing no one is "demanding" that he remove things from his blog....which I'm pretty sure a lot of people would find offensive. He's lucky to live in a tolerant country.
    You continue to be graceful, though, Chase and that's admirable. I'd rather know you than him.
    (I'm remainin anonymous because I don't want him coming after me).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not arrognat, but Ms Anonymous is incredibly RUDE, and I used MY freedom of speech to say that the foxtail is disgusting. She also took the time to check out my blog and insult it and me, but accuses me of being the one chasing her around the internet. Oh brother. I surely have better things to do than chase TROLLS.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:45 AM

    I think the tail is cute :3 As long as you bought it legally, which you did.

    Anyway, on to the basket. I really love the pattern, and as a beginning crocheter, I've been fighting with the adjustable loop for a bit, and the link you provided was definitely the most helpful tutorial I've found yet! I'm making this basket to store toys as well, but for a completely different type of animal: children! Wish me luck! I'm deciding not to switch to the hemp rows, as I have none, but I'm going to add a trim of softer, thicker yarn and see how it goes. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:15 AM

    Thanks for the pattern! <3 It's very cute and I love the few rows of hemp in yours! This will be perfect for my little things. And I think the fox tail is adorable, by the way. <3 It's at least good to use all the parts of an animal and help out an ecosystem than let things become overpopulated, for one thing! People should be kinder. The costume was cute and the pattern is awesome! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this pattern will be wonderful once complete. Thank you for taking the time and effort to post it for the rest of us. However, as a self taught crafter I thank you mostly for the link for doing the starting loop. I have struggled with this for a while and couldn't find a good way to do it. Thank you and blessed be.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found that the tail used to belong to a live animal very very disturbing.. I am sorry I came to this blog and saw this...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous5:32 PM

    Hmm... too bad not everyone that reads this blog has as many hobbies as you! Then perhaps they would not have the time to argue over your blog's comment function! Although i don't agree with the tail (i'm a vegetarian >_>;;) I do like the basket :)
    Very cute! I think that, once I finish all the zillions of projects that I have half completed, I will make one... and put some flowers on it :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I came on this website for the basket pattern which I find very cute. So thank you so very much for sharing!!! But I also agree with mamawolf when she said that the wolf tail is nothing but a costume which I think that is very cute, and funny on how people react to it! Anyways, thanks for sharing the basket pattern with everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous5:06 PM

    I think this basket would be an excelent for recycled plastic bag yarn, or PLARN. (http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2007/02/17/instructions-for-cutting-plastic-bags-creating-recycled-plastic-yarn/) I was looking for a larger basket, but this pattern seems very adaptable! I'm excited to give it at try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous6:51 PM

    I find this so funny. When did everyone become so fanatical about animals? Remember back in the day when dad use to go hunting and we'd eat whatever he placed on the table...no questions asked. My father was a trapper when I was younger and I've even helped him skin animals for their furs. God placed animals on this earth to benefit man. I have no patience for people who hold the rights of animals over the rights of human beings. Get over it!!!! I'm a meat eater and proud of it. That might not make me political correct, but who cares. I'm sure I'm in the majority. I found the tail to your costume adorable and I'm sure the customers who enjoyed it, didn't ask whether or not they should or should not enjoy it.
    Also, I love the basket pattern...would make a great catchall on my sewing table. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous8:36 PM

    absolutely love the pattern! =) and just why, mr trappers offspring, do you have the nerve to say animals were put here to benefit man? i think not. not so long ago did the "majority" think that about a certain "color" race, and found out they were absolutely WRONG! yeah, have dad go hand to hand with the animals he trapped and see who the supreme beings really are!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm actually wanting to know if after I make the basket if I could sell it, granted I'd give you the credit for the AWESOME design!

    If you could just email me your thoughts, I'd really appreciate it!

    crazycrochet007@gmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hannah - Of course you can sell baskets! I let everyone do whatever they want with the patterns I share on here. Well, everything short of trying to sell the pattern ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous2:56 AM

    Just making my first post at diyods.blogspot.com, which seems to be a wonderful forum!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good grief. Hey all of you!!! I have A COON SKIN HAT!!! Oh, and a Timberwolf skin. My husband at the time shot it when it was leaping at me! I'd have him shoot it again!

    On another note, the basket is wonderful and I appreciate you taking the time to show me how to do it. I've never made one so I am very much looking forward to it. The detail in the tutorial is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi! I know this post is very old, but the basket is awesome! I found it through an Amineko search (you know, how one thing leads to another, and five link clicks later you're not sure where you started). Anyway, I don't think I noticed if you said how big the basket ends up being. I know yarn varies and the gauge of each crocheter, but what's the approximate size? I was thinking, wouldn't it be adorable as an Amineko kitty bed?! But you gotta make sure the Amineko would fit, first!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous7:54 PM

    very good!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for the free patterns! Love them. Sorry so many disgruntled people can't keep their comments to themselves about your costume. I love animals, and I would never wear the tail or a coonskin hat, but this is your blog, your costume, your life & your free choice to buy/wear whatever you want. Our Creator did give us the animals for use to benefit us. You answered the comments so nice! This site is yours and if people are offended they should keep the comments to themselves and move on. As this is about your wonderful crochet! What a kind heart you have to share your patterns with us. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny since this is a "comments" section and not a "praise me for everything I do" section. Comments are a two way street, some readers were offended. She doesn't have to change her life because of the comments but if she finds that it would benefit her in the long run she can take it to heart and change. I don't have an opinion either way about the tail but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

      Delete
  28. RELAX! I have a real rabbit's foot on my key chain. I got it as a child and it has a lot of sentimental value. It was given to me 61 years ago and I cherish it. Take a pill already.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Would everyone relax? This is not about a fox tail, it's about the crocheted basket. I just made one and it's beautiful. I thank you for the easy to understand instructions. I'm going to make a lot more!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am hoping for this to be my first project! the directions are very clear and in no way confusing... I thank you for that ;-)

    ReplyDelete